Frequently Asked Questions
It is the responsibility of the participant to secure sufficient funds to cover their tuition, accommodation, travel and daily living expenses etc. Please allow sufficient time for your employer, or sponsoring organisation to complete these arrangements. To view a list of possible sponsoring organisations, click here.
I want to apply for outside funding but the funder requires proof that I am enrolled on the Academy. What do I do?
We understand the difficulty of this situation and are willing to help where we can. Please let us know what your individual requirements are and we will try our best to assist you.
We understand that you may need to make a business case to your employer to allow you time off to attend the Academy. This guide has been written to help you with this process.
UK Visas and Immigration (the Home Office) requires ALL overseas participants to have a valid passport. It is also your responsibility to ensure that you meet any UK entry requirements and, if necessary, apply for a visa in advance of travel. If you are from a country outside the European Economic Area you may need to apply for a visa.
Obtaining a visa for the UK can take many weeks, so please ensure you allow plenty of time. You can check processing times on the Home Office webpage but do also bear in mind that you cannot apply for a visa more than 3 months before the start date of your course. GCAP and our partners will provide delegates with letters in support of entry to the UK or a visa application on request but only after payment has been received in full.
We have put together some advice for applying for a UK entry visa which can be seen here.
Participants are responsible for making their own travel arrangements to Oxford and the accommodation provided in Oxford, UK. Travel will be at your own (or your organisation's) expense. Participants must arrive in time for the start of the course – unless agreed by prior arrangement.
- All tuition and teaching materials/facilities for 2 weeks;
- On-line CourseWare for collaboration, sharing and disseminating information before, during and after the course;
- Comprehensive Joining & Preparation Instructions;
- Access to world experts in all aspects of climate adaptation and leadership;
- Course Book/Programme including details about the course, tutors, participants and special events;
- Certificate of completion from GCAP;
- Welcome pack with details about the accommodation, Oxford and surrounds;self catering accommodation at a University of Oxford College, breakfasts;
- Lunch, tea, coffee, biscuits on teaching days (Monday-Friday each week);
- Networking opportunities at specially arranged dinners, talks, and more ...
- Participant's travel and transfer to Oxford and the course venue;
- Lunch is not provided on Saturdays or Sundays;
- Evening meals are not provided (except for course dinner(s) and other special events as specified in the programme).
If there are less than 28 days left before the start of the course the FULL fee must be paid immediately and received into our bank account no less than 14 days before the course start date.
All bookings from overseas individuals/organisations must be accompanied by payment in FULL, within 28 days, or no less than 28 days before the course start date - whichever is earlier. The Adaptation Academy will not be able to guarantee your place(s) unless payment has been made and received into the appropriate bank account at least 28 days before the course start date.
Acceptable methods of payment are:-
- Cheque (made payable to "GCAP UK Limited" – in GB Pounds Sterling only);
- Bank Transfer;
- On-line banking (available from the UK only);
- Wire Transfer ...to the appropriate GCAP GBP (£) or USD ($) bank account (details to be provided on confirmation of booking).
Please remember that all bank and currency exchange fees must be paid by you
No other methods of payment are acceptable.
(Unfortunately we are not able to accept credit card payments at this time.)
The course fee received into our account MUST be the full amount stated on the invoice and as such, we cannot be responsible for ANY bank transfer or currency conversion charges. These MUST be covered by the payee. Please ensure you indicate on the payment instructions to your bank that "All costs, charges and fees are to be borne by the payee". If we do not receive the full amount quoted on your invoice we will not be able to guarantee your place(s).