Adaptation Academy Oxford
Comprehensive Course for Leaders and Practitioners
Adaptation Academy Oxford 2018
12 - 24 August 2018
- Do you want to develop your career in this rapidly evolving field?
- Do you have key staff who need to deepen their understanding of the complex world of climate risk, adaptation and resilience?
- Does your organisation need to grasp the opportunities presented by climate change?
The prestigious Adaptation Academy Oxford, now in its ninth year, provides a unique chance to develop a deep understanding of the key themes in this world changing and exciting field. It goes beyond merely increasing your knowledge.
The Adaptation Academy Oxford will provide an environment in which participants are stretched to explore the strategic impact of climate response, to envisage ways in which they and their organisation can engage with it, and to develop their own sense of leadership to contribute to the global transformation that is necessary to address it.
- Become part of a new generation of professionals
- Who will you meet?
- What will you learn?
- Would you like to join us?
Become part of a new generation of professionals
The Adaptation Academy Oxford is the brainchild of the Global Climate Adaptation Partnership (GCAP), named as one of the top think-tanks in the climate response field. It offers you the chance to develop the technical and leadership skills needed to be a change maker in practical adaptation, and become part of a network of professionals committed to creating a better world.
Who will you meet?
Previous participants have come from the public, NGO and private sectors, including the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), UN Environment Programme (UNEP), Asian Development Bank (ADB), African Development Bank (AfDB), UN Development Programme (UNDP), Practical Action Nepal, Australian Outback Communities Authority, DAI, and many more.
While aimed at practitioners and leaders driving climate responses at all levels, the Adaptation Academy Oxford 2018 will also be a stepping stone for individuals, at any stage in their career, keen to identify their own path in this crucial field.
The highly interactive style will encourage you to forge strong bonds, both with fellow participants and the contributing faculty.
Testimonials from alumni of previous Academies can be found here.
What will you learn?
Running through the two weeks of Adaptation Academy Oxford 2018 are four engaging themes;
- Navigating the landscape of climate response
- Adapting project cycles to achieve transformation
- Champions and change-making; and
- The business case for embedding resilience
Each year, guests and former alumni contribute the latest insights in hot topics. Recent subjects have included metereological prediction, enterprise finance, risk rating, corporate sustainability, engaging local communities, and urban resilience.
The first aim of the programme is to enable participants to develop a solid grounding in the concepts of vulnerability, climate impacts, and responses. As important though, is to relate this to your existing and future work. The Adaptation Academy Oxford 2018 will not, therefore, consist of a stream of lectures! Our style of interaction includes;
- Participative ‘keynote’ seminars by world-leading experts
- Demonstrations, experiential role play, and simulations
- Opportunities to discuss your own projects
- Out-of-class tours and study visits
- Social events and networking opportunities
- Offline reflective practice, and
- Individual coaching
You will also be encouraged to contribute to our virtual learning environment (VLE).
Would you like to join us?
The application process is kept as straightforward as possible. Please complete the online application form here or download the offline application form and email the completed form to academy[at]climateadaptation.cc. We ask you to reflect on what you are hoping to gain by attending and how you see yourself making use of the experience.
The course fees include tuition, materials, self-catering accommodation, breakfast, week-day lunches and some evening events. The participant, or their sponsor, is required to pay for their travel to and from Oxford, the cost of any visa, and to cover their day-to-day expenses.
|Participants sponsored by non-UK organisations and EU organisations with valid VAT numbers||£5,900|
|All self-funded participants, and participants sponsored by UK organisations||£7,080|
- We are required to levy VAT on Academy fees for UK organisations, and all self-funding individuals regardless of their country of origin.
- Discounts are available where organisations book multiple places for the Academy or reserve places across consecutive years.
- UK visa regulations are complex and, if you will require one, you must make the necessary arrangements as soon as possible.
For any questions about the Adaptation Academy Oxford 2018, please do not hesitate to contact us at academy[at]climateadaptation.cc
The Adaptation Academy Oxford is a technical and leadership development programme for professionals engaged in climate-related work. Established by GCAP in 2012, the Adaptation Academy Oxford is held each year in Oxford, UK. It is not in any way connected with, or endorsed by, the University of Oxford.